More than one million people and 35 million economic impact, balance of the Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife

The Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife said goodbye last weekend until next year with a balance of participation of over one million people and an economic impact of around 35 million euros.

The details of the ‘winter parties’ have been exposed on Tuesday at a press conference by the mayor, José Manuel Bermúdez, and the councilors responsible for Fiestas, Gladis de León; Citizen Security, Zaida González; Public Services, Dámaso Arteaga, and Economic Promotion, Alfonso Cabello.

Bermúdez stressed that it has been a “record” Carnival, with the largest participation of recent years, crowned by the “Piñata Saturday”, which coincided with the free concert of Juan Luis Guerra and brought together some 400,000 people throughout of the whole day, “with images that have traveled around the world”.

Gladis de León stressed that the Fairground is a “guarantee” for the stage of competitions, since it allows not to cancel any in case of rain, stressing that this year they received more than 110,000 people and that only musical group deserves “give it a ride”.

In addition, he valued that the two carnivals by day had more than half a million people and that the musical magazine ‘Billboard’, the second most important in the world, has asked the City Council for photos of Juan Luis Guerra’s concert.

He also highlighted the great impact of Carnival on social networks, with more than 13 million views on Facebook and almost 9,000 new fans; 921,000 views on Twitter and Instagram and double visits to the website to reach three million.

According to De León, almost four million spectators saw at some point the Gala of the Carnival Queen and another 2.9 million, the Rhythm and Harmony contest.

Arteaga, meanwhile, has indicated that Titsa transported 706,000 passengers during carnivals and the tram, despite having partial strikes due to the strike, about 258,000, 5% less than in the previous edition.

As for waste, has detailed that they have generated less despite having more people in the city, with a total of 444.7 tons compared to 528.3 last Carnival, while increasing the recycling of light packaging, with 36.7 tons for the 930 kilos of 2018.

On the other hand, Zaida González pointed out that the Hospital del Carnaval attended 681 people, 9% more than the previous year, and almost half of it due to alcohol consumption, followed by injuries due to falls on public roads.

11 MILLION TOURISTIC EXPENDITURE

In addition, the aggressions fell by 3%, there were nine detainees, 126 minutes were lifted for possession and consumption of narcotic substances, and 5,814 calls were answered that activated 267 police interventions.

Cabello has also highlighted that the Carnival has been a “record” for tourism, with 11 million direct spending – compared to 7.5 million in 2018 – according to the first estimates made by the technicians of the Development Society.

In addition, the hotels reached the full ‘Saturday of Piñata’ and the average occupancy during the two weeks of Carnival reached 90%, seven points above last year, while almost four out of ten residents from Tenerife visited at some point the capital.

In total, the city received some 170,000 tourists, of which 123,000 were hikers from other parts of the island, with the Coso Apotheosis as a ‘big day’, with more than 250 buses and 13,000 tourists.

“The profitability of the Carnival is very clear for the city,” he added.

Regarding neighborhood complaints about the noise of music on the street, the mayor said there was a problem “in a very specific area” during the first weekend that was resolved, but facing the future, he said there will be “noise and music” in the Carnival, although always complying with the current regulations.

Bermúdez has appealed to reach the “consensus” with the neighbors, but he has not forgotten that it is “impossible” to hold a Carnival. “There will be music and noise in all safety,” he added.

He also said that the Carnival “has been moving” throughout its history, as it reflects that it has reached Calle Méndez Núñez, and therefore, believes that it would be “silly” not to use the new zone that opens together to the coast when the works of the Puerto-ciudad link culminate.

“It will be what people decide, which has always moved spontaneously, but it would be illogical not to take advantage of it,” he said, recalling, for example, how the kiosks of universities were located for many years on the Avenida Marítima front. as a formula to raise money for end-of-year trips, “until they stopped being put”.