56% of hotels in Tenerife are integrated into a chain, with Iberostar and Meliá leading the way

A study carried out by the CajaCanarias Tourism Chair, Ashotel-University of La Laguna, concludes that of the 239 hotel establishments -extrahoteleros- are registered in Tenerife (source Istac), 132 are in the hands of chains (56%) ), insular, national and international, compared to the remaining 107 (44%) that are independent.

This research work, promoted by Ashotel and the CajaCanarias Foundation, funded by CaixaBank, offers new information based on the analysis of data on hotel chains and their distribution in the territory, which helps to understand the tourist phenomenon in Tenerife.

The document was presented on Monday at a press conference in which the director of the Chair, Raúl Hernández, along with the manager of the hotel management of Tenerife, Juan Pablo González, and the territorial director of CaixaBank in the Canary Islands, Juan Ramón Fuertes.

By social headquarters of the chains, 58.3% are national and comprise a total of 77 establishments; followed by the island or canary Islands (32.6%), with the management of 43 hotels and international, which account for 9.1% and manage 12 hotels.

The chain structure as a major business form in Tenerife is part of the axis of the tourism model that has been developed on the island in recent decades.

Regarding the total number of hotel rooms in Tenerife, just over 82% of the 89,197 hotel beds (73,333) are managed by a chain, compared to the remaining 18% of beds, which is part of independent hotel companies, which shows that the independent structures are smaller and of smaller capacity (15,863 beds).

The ten chains with more presence in Tenerife according to their number of seats are the following: Iberostar (4,812 beds), Meliá (4,777), H10 Hotels (4,614), Hovima Hotels (4,005), Be Live Hotels (3,434), GF Hotels ( 2,850), RIU Hotels & Resorts (2,727), Gema Playa (2,338), Barceló Hotel Group (2,319) and Blue Sea Hotels (2,233).

Of the 19 island chains analyzed in this radiography, nine have more than 1,000 seats.

Of these, the highest volume is Hovima Hotels (4,005 beds), followed by GF Hotels (2,850), Gema Playa (2,338), Spring Hotels (2,109), Dreamplace Hotels (1,660), Adrián Hotels (1,385), Sand & Sea Hotels (1,120) and Coral Hotels (1,014).

The remaining 11 chains with headquarters in Tenerife range from the 39 places of XQ Hotels to 924 of Kn H & R, through Hecansa (143), Adonis Resort (260), RF Hotels (278), Pez Azul Group (306), Della Hotels (337), Trianflor Hotels (355), Altalay Group (486), PY H & R (564) and The Tais-CIO (732).

MICRODESTINES
Another of the aspects included in this document is the one referring to the location of the chains and independent hotels in the different analyzed micro-destinations of Tenerife.

Thus, while in Playa Paraiso, Los Gigantes, Golf del Sur and Martianez dominate the establishments associated with chains, in the first three exclusively, others such as Callao Salvaje only has independent hotels, although it is also one of the micro-destinations with less presence Hotel

Other areas, such as Playa del Duque, Las Americas-Arona, Puerto Santiago, Costa Adeje and Jardín-Marítimo Beach have a high percentage of chains.

Raúl Hernández disaggregated the main conclusions of the study, which uses data from the Instituto Canario de Estadística (Istac), and explained that this is a first document focused on Tenerife, but that work is being done on a regional one.

Thus, added that although this project only includes the hotel beds, with some 90,000 beds, to the Tenerife accommodation plant are added another 50,000 apartments and another 50,000 (estimated data) holiday rental, the latter according to studies of the Government of the Canary Islands, what would throw in Tenerife a total of 190,000 beds.

He pointed out that the tourist development of the Canary Islands in its initial phase was simpler than that of the Balearic Islands, for example, which has six-month seasons, while in the Canaries they are “open 12 months”.

This has been able to motivate, he said, that businessmen in the Balearic Islands have sought business outside of their community. In fact, there are Balearic chains that have more seats in the Canary Islands than in their community, such as, for example, RIU, among others.

For his part, Juan Ramón Fuertes endorsed the collaboration of CaixaBank in this type of studies “that go down to the detail”, in front of more general ones that can develop study departments of companies like yours, and advanced the commitment with the Chair of Tourism for other types of future studies of a similar nature.

“This is a very interesting instrument for decision making of companies and public administrations,” he said, adding CaixaBank’s involvement with the hotel sector in the Canary Islands.